mercredi 30 janvier 2013

Second solo Navigation



A high pressure system has settled in over the North Island, so I'm pretty much flying everydays and I won't complain!

I've done 5 navs so far, 3 with an instructor and 2 by myself, and it's absolutely amazing!!
It's a real pleasure to fly over a such country. There are not many cities, like in Europe, but because of the terrain, the coasts, all the bays, all the different harbours... It's really hard to get lost.

In an other hand, with a such beautifull weather, and the quantity of obvious ground features it's sometimes hard to stick with your flight log as you can see from the beginning of the fly your destination hundred kilometers ahead. 
Most of the time you just want to fly visually rather than flying headings, but the CTC policy is strict, we are here to learn a method so we have to fly our headings even if we made mistakes on the ground during our preparation.

This is my most common reproache from my instructors:

FI: "Stick to your plan Erwan"
Me: "Yes, but I can see already that we're slightly off track"
FI: "Doesn't matter, stick to what you planned, you'll correct it later on"

Anyway, for my second solo nav I had the choice between flying the reverse of a nav I did with an instructor a plan a new one. Of course, I planned a new one because I wanted to see other things! The off blocks time was 7.45am, with a reporting time of 5.45. I woke up at 4, to get enough time to prepare my route. I was tired, but I did worth it. The light was absolutely amazing, the wind was calm. I couldn't have excepted better conditions!

My route was Hamilton-Karapiro-Waihi Beach-Port Waikato-Raglan-Hamilton:


2 commentaires:

Mathjkt a dit…

Hey Erwan, how long was your flight in total?

Erwan a dit…

Hi,
The flight was 1.6hrs.
;)