jeudi 7 février 2013

Second (proper) navigation


Why proper? Well, in my opinion a navigation is a flight where you take off from A to fly and land to B. And so far, I had flown only solo navigations with turning points without any touch and goes or full stops.

But I'm now allowed to do so, since the last dual navigation, called "Triangle of death" by most of the cadets. The route is Hamilton - Rotorua - Tauranga, three D class airspaces.

The purpose of this last dual navigation is to make sure that the cadet is able to fly correctly the published arrivals and departures procedures with good radio calls. To make it harder, we are wearing a hood which allows you to see only your instruments. Obviously the hood is removed for all the joining procedures.

Thanks to my previous flying experience, I didn't find this nav really hard, as I had always prefered controled airfields than uncontrolled.

For my first proper nav, I've been up to Coromandel Peninsula to do two touch and goes at Pauanui Beach airfield and Whitianga airfield. 
I was really upset because I had forgotten my cameras, and it was absolutely fabulous, specially Pauanui Beach. This strip is open for general aviation without permission of the operator, but it looks like a private strip as the short grass runway is stuck between to houses lines with many aircraft in their back gardens. 
The airfield is located on a small peninsula, so on both approaches the final is over the water, simply amazing to fly in a such environement.

Coromandel Navigation - Pauanui Beach, Whitianga
For my second nav, I decided to go back to Rotorua because the joining instructions make you fly over the water which is stunning.
I also decided to challenge my self for my training here in New Zealand and I have decided to try to land on 30 differents aerodromes. It's probably going to be hard but still, I'll try.
So, during the nav preparation I was looking for aerodromes not too far, when another cadet suggested me Opotiki. I then decided to fly from Rotorua to Opotiki and back to Hamilton. Because Whakatane, was really close from Opotiki, I decided to do a Touch and go there, to improve my workload management.
There are only 10' or less, between these two airfields, so I thought it would be interesting, because you're quiet in a rush, for your arrival briefing, fly the aircraft, but you have to do it well...
Everything went well, and I flew back to Hamilton.

Hamilton - Rotorua - Opotiki - Whakatane - Hamilton
The next step is another 2 hours navigation and then my 300nm cross country which is a requirement for the CPL. I'm still hesitating for the route of my cross country navigation between an Notherly route towards Bay of Island, Cape reinga, and a Southerly towards Wellington and its international airport...

6 commentaires:

Mathieu Vidal a dit…

Very nice Nav, can't wait to be there!
Are you allowed to use the GPS I can see in your Cessna when you are flying Navs?
On average how many times a week are you able to fly?
Thanks

Joffrey R a dit…

salut !

ça fait un petit moment que je suis ton blog, et je l'adore ! En fait je viens d’être sélectionner par CTC pour suivre leur cadet course :) donc pour moi normalement ca va être CP108, en mai ! on aura certainement l'occasion de se croiser !
En fait j'ai quelques question concernant la paperasserie.. Toi qui est français, finalement quelle est l'assurance que tu as choisi pour te couvrir ? j'ai vu que tu as hésité entre APPN et SAAM, mais je ne connais pas la fin !CTC me propose leur partenaire assureur PJIS
donc je suis en pleine hésitation en plus que j'attend la Class 1.. Et aussi, si ça ne te dérange pas, est ce qu'on pourrai discuter sur un mail ? j'ai adresse hotmail ou... CTC ! lol je suis trop fiers de mon adresse CTC, j'ai l'impression d'y être.
bon allez j'y retroune bosser le basic disclosure, bonne fin de nuit, si tu n'es pas sur un vol tôt le matin ! et bon vol !
A+

Joffrey

Erwan a dit…

@Mathieu:
Thanks about your comment. I don't know whether we are or not allowed to use the GPS but Anyway they don't teach you how to use it so... In another hand I think that the heading and time method is a more valuable experience than GPS. We have all our life to use this kind of devices... ;)

@Joffrey:
Thanks a congrats for the selection. I chose SAAM as calss 1 medical insurance. But for the life insurance and stuff, I would suggest you to take the one they suggest you. I took a different one, cheaper, but I had to take different ones to get the same cover.
I deleted your second comment, we never know, your adress mail could be overwhelmed by spams otherwise...I'll contact you by mail shortly! ;)

Mathieu Vidal a dit…

I completely agree, i just wanted to know if they encouraged you to use it or not. I prefer knowing that CTC's philosophy is the more "traditional method".
Do you have to fly less hours since you already have a PPL? When are you transferring to the DA42?

Joffrey R a dit…

thanks for your quick answer !

Ok i keep your advice in mind :) thank you for deleting my second comment.. you're right, you never know !

i hope we'll chat soon by e-mail. if I have any questions i think i will ask you to rescue me lol !

have a nice flight ! when are you back in UK ? I guess we will be able to meet there !

see u !

Thomas M a dit…

Toujours aussi sympa les photos. J'ai bien aimé également la vidéo qui illustre parfaitement la beauté du paysage.

Bons vols.

Thomas M
Pilote-pro.com